Mrs. Mónica Sánchez is a trial lawyer focusing on state and federal litigation matters, particularly of a torts, breach of contract, collections, estate-planning law nature. She has substantial court, bench and jury trial experience and frequently represents clients in the Puerto Rico Supreme Court, Puerto Rico Court of Appeals, Puerto Rico State Court, Federal District Court and Puerto Rico Bankruptcy Court.
Before joining the firm in 2015, Mónica was an Senior Associate Attorney for Alvaro Calderon Law Offices, as attorney Calderon’s right hand in charge of managing all federal litigation cases in the firm, as well as in charge of heading numerous cases pertaining to torts, medical malpractice, parent company liability, defective products, class actions, labor and employment law, §1983 civil rights actions, Title VII, ADA; estate planning, division & settlement; environmental law, admiralty law, collections, breach of contracts, preliminary and permanent injunctions, among others.
Mónica was also an Attorney for the Federal Litigations Division in the Puerto Rico Department of Justice assigned to high profile cases involving torts, displacements (land takings) exercised by state, civil rights, cases involving Registry of the Property, taxation, collections, contracts, labor and employment law, preliminary and permanent injunctions, among others.
As part of her duties, she also acted as a liaison between Puerto Rico Department of Justice and external governmental instrumentalities and agencies such as Puerto Rico Treasury Department, Puerto Rico Housing Department and Housing Urban Development, Puerto Rico Department of Natural Resources, Puerto Rico General Services Administration, Puerto Rico Department of Health, Puerto Rico National Guard, Puerto Rico Police Department, Puerto Rico Corrections and Rehabilitations Department, among others. Finally, as a Notary, Monica has vast prior experience in Property Purchase, Sale & Mortgage Closings and general notary such as drafting and preparation of public deeds, affidavits and titles; legal property closings pre-approvals for banks; and drafting of bank and corporate regulations manuals.
- Effectively managed numerous civil multi plaintiff cases brought against Federal and State agencies in both local and federal court.
- In addition, has successfully Defended Counter-Claims against CitiMortgage, Inc. including Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regulations and RESPA Regulation X.
- Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico (PUCPR); (J.D.)
- Inter-American University of Puerto Rico (B.B.A., Science)
- Puerto Rico State Bar
- United States District Court of Puerto Rico
- United States Court of Appeals for the First District
- Notary Public in the Puerto Rico State Bar